Monday, October 3, 2011

Here we go again

It seems like I am writing the same things over and over again but I guess that is because the same things keep happening. On Sunday Wendy had to go back into the hospital. She had a slight fever, chills, vomiting and abdominal pain and was too weak to walk or even stand. During the CT scan the doctors found the abdominal abscesses again and other testing revealed that her white blood count was extremely low. The decision that is being decided by the doctors now is what step to take next. Surgery may be inevitable or they could try IR again. I will post when a decision is made.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Here's the Scoop

The pathology reports showed that Mom has a bacterial infection called Klebsiella Pneumonia (or something like that.)  Apparently one of the pockets of fluid left over from the surgery-gone-wrong in Nevada became infected.  To combat this, they put in a PICC line so that she can get antibiotics intravenously for the next 4-8 weeks.  They also left a drain tube hanging out of her abdomen with a large bag on the end of it to collect all the drainage that is still coming out of the "mass".  The hospital released her last night (Monday) and then her and my dad went in to the hospital today to be trained on how to empty the drain and give the antibiotics themselves at home for the next couple of months.  Mom is not in pain even though the doctors say she should be.  She is completely awake and herself although she is exhausted halfway through the day and needs to take a nap.  Unfortunately it appears that there are still other pockets of fluid left in her abdomen that could also become infected so surgery may be unavoidable at some point in the future, but for now, she is home and hoping for a complete recovery.  That's the scoop for now.  Thanks for caring.  Have a great day.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Waiting for pathology reports...

Interventional Radiology was used this afternoon to attempt to aspirate some of the "mass".  They were able to withdraw two big syringes of a fluid that looked like pus, which they sent to pathology to try to get a better idea of what exactly the mass is.  We are waiting for pathology reports, which could take 48 hours or so.  Mom is awake, talking fine and the procedure was not nearly as painful for her as it was last time.  I will update when the pathology report is in.  She will stay at the hospital again tonight and they may put another PICC line in her tomorrow.

Friday, September 2, 2011

It's not over...

Mom has never fully recovered and today our fears of further problems have been heightened.  A couple of weeks ago, not long after arriving back in Snohomish, Mom started to develop a lump on her side.  It has gradually gotten bigger and is shifting in her.  After a trip to the ER, an exam with her family doctor, an ultrasound, x-rays and a CT Scan they still don't know what is wrong with Mom and what the "mass" is.  She finished the CT Scan and X-rays just this afternoon and was told it probably wouldn't be looked at until Tuesday; however, after arriving home from the hospital, she received a call from her doctor saying she needed to return to the hospital tonight and be admitted.  We were surprised to find out that her stomach, spleen, arteries, etc. are, apparently, all in the wrong place in her abdomen.  She is being prepped tonight and then tomorrow morning they will attempt IR (Interventional Radiology) to try to drain the mass.  If that is not successful, or if further efforts are needed, surgery will be required, however, the surgeon admitted that because everything is in the wrong place in her, they will be cutting into her blindly.

My brothers Jake and Jarom, and my sister Jess and her family happen to be in Snohomish this weekend visiting my parents so they will be able to visit mom in the hospital and hopefully be there for whatever has to happen tomorrow.  My mom could use your prayers again.  I will post as soon as we know anything.  Thanks.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The news we have all been waiting for!

Mom gets to go home tomorrow!  During her endoscopy today there were no major alarming things found that would require an immediate surgery or procedure, so she got the "all clear" to fly back home and live there!  It has been such a long 4 months that we didn't want her to have to wait one more day to go home so we changed her ticket to fly out tomorrow afternoon and arrive in Seattle tomorrow evening.  (So, all of you Snohomish friends and family, here she comes!)  Thank you to every one of you that has supported Wendy and our whole family with prayers, phone calls, cards, flowers, pictures, letters and friendship through this whole ordeal.  She is very excited to finally be able to go home!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

More info coming

Our reunion ended yesterday and Mom traveled back to Arizona with Becky and Ryan.  She has an endoscopy scheduled for Wednesday the 20th and should get results that day.  If no surgeries or additional procedures are immediately needed, then mom will be able to fly back to Seattle and go live in her home in Snohomish the following Tuesday the 26th.  I'll update with the endoscopy results when we get them.  Thanks!

Monday, July 11, 2011

Reunion Fun!!!

For the past 6 days we have been having a blast in Island Park, Idaho for our family reunion, and yes, Mom is here with us!!!  We have been praying for this extra bonus blessing (of her being able to be at the Family Reunion) and are so grateful that Heavenly Father granted it to us!  (Thanks for the prayers of those of you who also prayed with us for this to occur.)  We have told stories around a campfire, eaten s'mores, swam and played in a lake, floated down a river (that one has a long story we'll tell another time!) and eaten...A LOT!  Most of all, we have built memories that will last us until our next reunion until we are all together again.  Mom has been able to be with us and watch us, which we are so grateful for, however, she has not had the strength to participate in most activities.  She is able to walk on her own, but tires easily and needs frequent rests and naps.  She has lost most of her muscle throughout her body which is most noticeable on her arms and legs, and we are assuming that is the cause of her exhaustion and weakness.  We are still hoping she makes a full recovery, although that may be 6-12 months from now.  She cannot eat most of the foods that we have prepared, but has been able to enjoy a few bites here and there.  I think she misses the "old" her--the way she was before the botched surgery.  She was so strong...roofing a house, hanging drywall, and sanding logs for the log cabin she was planning on building in Montana.  We miss the "old" her too.  The "old" her would have been the first one to jump into the freezing cold lake today, the first one to lead the little kids on the treasure hunt.  Now she falls asleep sitting in a chair, wrapped in blankets, as her grandchildren play at her feet.  However, there is no need to compare then and now.  This is the new normal and we love her so much and are so glad she is here with us! 
We (all 24.5 of us at this reunion) love you Mom and always will!