Monday, March 21, 2011
Well, we just got the results from the CT Scan this morning and they are really inconclusive. Today's CT Scan shows "no change" from the earlier CT Scan. So, they are still showing multiple pockets of fluid, which could be infectious or could be sterile. She also has a leak from her stomach/bowels into her abdominal cavity so she has drainage tubes sticking out of her to drain the infectious fluid. Again, this leak may heal on its own over several weeks or it may need surgery. So, we are just in a holding pattern to see if her vital signs start to improve or to see if they start to get worse. If they improve, she has a chance of healing without surgery. If they start to get worse, we'll have to take action despite the risks. The Dr said it's 50/50 which way it will go. Sounds like we are in for a long wait holding our breaths. Mom is still on oxygen, IV nutrition, many different antibiotics., and all the tubes and wires. She may need a blood transfusion in the near future. Since we are in for a long wait we are sending my dad and sister Becky home since they have been here the longest...(my dad has been here for 2 weeks now.) My aunt Wyonne, my Grandma and I will stay here for the next several days. We'd love your cards and letters to brighten up mom's hospital room. Keep sending your blog comments and emails...we are reading them to my mom and she is touched and smiles (or cries) every time we read her one. Thanks for all your support!
Posted by Katie at 3:31 PM